Greetings from the ISD Board of Trustees.
On Thursday 17 January 2019, we held our monthly Board meeting.
We covered a lot of important ground. Highlights included:
1. Brad Chumrau (PYP Coordinator) gave the Board an update on progress toward the school's PYP accreditation. The Board is looking forward to the next milestone of a verification visit from the International Baccalaureate Organisation on 19 March 2019.
2. The Board reviewed the first draft of the 2019-2020 Budget Book. Financial oversight of the school Is a key role for the Board. We addressed the assumptions upon which the proposed budget is based and looked at how it relates the the school's strategic plan.
3. The Board held a second reading of and voted unanimously to introduce a specialized educational needs program at ISD. This reflects our inclusive policy and commitment to the IB philosophy. This decision has been taken following six months of research and discussion. The program will support children with mild to moderate learning needs and will commence in the elementary school next year.
4. The Board approved changes to ISD's parental leave policy to introduce specified leave for fathers and provide more flexibility for families in how they take leave when a new child is born or adopted.
5. The Board had a first reading of the proposed amendments to ISD's bylaws to change the composition if the Board from 9 elected trustees to 7 elected and 2 appointed trustees. Amendments to bylaws require a vote at the annual general meeting; if the Board approves the proposed changes in February, these will then be communicated to the school for a vote at the annual general meeting.
6. The Director and Principals are in the middle of teacher recruitment season. They will attend two more fairs before the end of January. The Board approved three new teaching positions for the 2019-2020 school year: Elementary Special Education Teacher, Middle School / High School Spanish Teacher and High School Learning Support. This decision empowers the Administrators to recruit fir these positions at the coming fairs.
Our next meeting will be held on Thursday 21 February 2019 at 6.00 pm (refreshments from 5.30 pm) in the Administration Building Conference Room. All parents and Faculty are welcome to attend as observers.
In the meantime, the Board can be contacted via the Board email address: email@example.com.
Kind regards, Louisa Gibbs ISD Board Chair