May 5, 2017-- In this week’s Jag Journal, I would like to report on our recent AGM and Trustee elections, as well as letting you know about our next Monthly Board meeting to be held on 11 May.
Annual General Meeting
At the Annual General Meeting, ISD administration and Board reported on their work and goals this school year.
It was also an opportunity for the school to recognize staff members from all areas of the school for their service to ISD. Elementary school Principal Kelly Chumrau presented 5, 10 and 15 year service awards to ISD staff and faculty members. Congratulations to all recipients!
Brad Bell shared an overview of college acceptances obtained by ISD graduates over the past five years and by this year’s senior class.
PTO Co-Chair Nelly Archibald and PTO volunteer Stephane Rosenberg provided an overview of the PTO’s varied activities during the year, from bingo nights to the soirée litteraire.
Director Alan Knobloch shared success stories of some of our students and thanked ISD staff for their efforts over the course of the year. He also reviewed school finances and gave a preview of next year’s budget.
Board Chair Louisa Gibbs explained the role of the Board of Trustees as ISD’s governing body and reported on the Board of Trustees’ regular activities and specific goals for this year.
Key findings from the 2016 Parent and Student Satisfaction Surveys were shared by Board Trustee Jennifer Davis and Middle School Assistant Principal John Wishart.
Questions from the floor were moderated by Board Trustee Jennifer Grant. Board Vice-Chair Linda Percyannounced trustee election results at the end of the evening.
The Board thanked Brad Bell, departing Secondary School Principal for his outstanding service to ISD and to the Board. Brad has been an active participant in Board deliberations for 5 years and we wish him the very best of luck in his new appointment as Director of the American School of Yaounde.
Thank you to all the parents and faculty who shared in the evening.
Thank you to ISD parent Evgenia Dolina for taking these photos of the AGM.
We are delighted to announce the election / re-election of the following parents as Trustees on the ISD Board for a two year term:
Sadia Asim, Jennifer Davis, Louisa Gibbs, Jennifer Grant, Aylin Tat, Thiaba Camara Sy
Marie Blanchard, James Garry and Jonathan Scott continue to serve for the second year of their two year term.
The new trustees are also joined by a new US Ambassador’s representative: Eric Davis, and Faculty representative: Catharina Guess-Wright. The Board thanks outgoing representatives Jenna Diallo and Sandra Goldsbourgh for their exceptional contributions to the school’s governance.
ISD Board of Trustees May Meeting
As always, parents and faculty are invited to attend Board meetings as observers.
The next meeting will take place on Thursday 11 May at 6.00 pm in the Conference Room in the Administration Building. Refreshments are served from 5.30 pm.
The agenda is as follows:
1. Welcome, articulation of the ISD Guiding Statements and introduction of new trustees (6:00 – 6:05)
2. Public comment (6:05 – 6:15) Opportunity for non-Board member to address Board if requested.
3. Consent Agenda (6:15 – 6:20) A. Minutes approval B. School Reports: (Director, Admissions Coordinator, Business Manager, Elementary School Principal, and Secondary School Principal) C. Committee Reports (Finance, Building and Grounds)
4. Educational Program Update (6:20 – 6:35) ISD Recruiting Strategies - Alan Knobloch
5. Reports by representatives (6:35 – 6:45) A. US Ambassador’s Representative (Jenna Diallo) B. Faculty Representative (Sandra Goldsborough)
6. Discussion Items (6:45 - 7:45) A. Board Policy Amendments - 2nd Reading - Alan Knobloch B. PreK 4 Full Day - Alan Knobloch C. PAC Construction Timeline - Suzanne Wardini D. Planning for Board Retreat - Louisa Gibbs E. Board Self Survey - Marie Blanchard F. Auditor Selection - Thiaba Camara Sy
7. Decision Items (7:45 - 7:55) A. Child Protection Policy B. Student Behaviour Policy C. Obligations to Staff D. PreK 4 Full Day
8. Appreciation and Farewells (7:45 -7:55)
9. Meeting Evaluations (7:55-8:00)
10. Schedule for next meetings; planning reminders (8:00 - 8:10)
If you would like to contact the Board, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Louisa Gibbs, Chair, ISD Board of Trustees